If you have a scratched windshield or car window, you may be wondering if it’s possible to repair the glass yourself. While it is possible to remove minor scratches from car glass, deep scratches will require windshield repair and replacement professionals. Continue reading to know more about repairing scratched windshield.
Why You Shouldn’t Attempt DIY Repair For a Scratched Windshield
If you have a scratched windshield or car window, it may be tempting to try a do-it-yourself repair. But before you reach for the tape or super glue, consider the potential risks and drawbacks of a DIY fix.
For starters, a DIY repair may not be as seamless or invisible as you’d like. While a professional can buff out scratches and restore clarity to your glass, a home repair may leave behind a cloudy or wavy appearance.
What’s more, a makeshift repair may not hold up over time. If you use tape, for example, it’s likely to peel away after a few days or weeks. And if you use super glue, it may not stand up to extreme temperatures or sunlight.
Another consideration is safety. A professional auto glass company will use industry-approved methods and materials to repair your windshield glass. But if you attempt a DIY repair, you could be putting yourself and your passengers at risk.
If your windshield is cracked or chipped, a DIY repair is not an option. In these cases, you need to replace the entire windshield, which is a job best left to the professionals.
So, before you attempt a DIY repair or use windshield repair kits, think about the potential risks and drawbacks. It may be best to leave this job to the windshield repair experts like Omni Auto Glass.
Choose a Professional Windshield Repair Service
Here are just a few reasons why it’s important to choose a professional windshield repair service:
- Expertise: Professional windshield repair technicians are experienced and knowledgeable in the field. They understand how a windshield is constructed, how to identify the damage, and what type of repair method is most appropriate. They also use high-quality materials and equipment designed specifically for windshield repair.
- Safety: A professional windshield repair service will use methods that are designed to repair the damage without compromising the structural integrity of the windshield. This ensures that the windshield is safe to use and that it won’t cause further damage while driving.
- Quality: DIY repair methods can often produce unsatisfactory results. Professional windshield repair services, on the other hand, produce high-quality repairs that last. The repair will be virtually invisible, and won’t impair the clarity of the glass.
- Time: DIY windshield repair methods can be time-consuming and difficult to do correctly. Professional windshield repair services are fast and efficient, and can usually perform the repair in just a few hours.
How To Avoid Scratches on Windshield?
It’s inevitable. At some point, everyone gets a scratch on their car. And, more often than not, it’s on the windshield. But don’t despair, there are ways to avoid scratches on your auto glass.
- Keep Your Car Clean. One of the best ways to avoid scratches on your windshield is to keep your car clean. That means regularly washing it and keeping it free of debris.
- Use a Windshield Cover. Another great way to avoid scratches on your windshield is to use a windshield cover. This will protect your windshield from the elements and from any flying debris.
- Be Careful When Washing Your Car. When you do wash your car, be careful not to use any harsh chemicals or abrasive materials. These can damage the glass and cause scratches.
- Avoid Hitting Your Windshield. This one seems like a no-brainer, but it’s worth mentioning. Avoid hitting your windshield with any hard objects. This includes things like rocks, branches, and even your fists.
- Don’t Place Heavy Objects on Your Dashboard. If you’re putting something heavy on your dashboard, make sure it’s not going to slide around. Otherwise, it could end up scratching your windshield.
- Be Careful When Getting In and Out of Your Car. When you’re getting in and out of your car, be careful not to hit the door against the windshield. This can cause scratches.
- Use a Windshield Sunshade. When you’re parked in the sun, use a windshield sunshade. This will help keep the interior of your car cooler and will also prevent the sun from causing any damage to your windshield.
- Keep Your Wiper Blades in Good Condition. If your windshield wipers are worn out, they can actually scratch your windshield. So, make sure to replace them when they start to show signs of wear.
Contact Windshield Repair Professionals
If your windshield has been scratched, you can count on Omni Auto Glass for quality windshield repair services. We have a team of experienced professionals who are dedicated to providing the best possible service to our customers. We use the latest technology and equipment to repair your windshield, and we offer a variety of options to choose from. Whether you need a simple windshield repair or a complete windshield replacement, we can help. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Back to top: Can You Repair a Scratched Windshield?