Having a cracked or chipped windshield can be a major inconvenience, not to mention a safety hazard. If left unchecked, a cracked windshield can quickly spread, further endangering the driver and passengers. Fortunately, there are ways to repair a cracked or chipped windshield, restoring it to its former condition and keeping you safe on the road. Windshield repair professionals provide an overview of the steps involved in repairing a cracked or chipped windshield.
Repairing a Cracked or Chipped Windshield Using DIY Kits
If you have a cracked or chipped windshield, you may be wondering what your best option is to repair it. Many drivers turn to DIY kits to try and repair the windshield themselves. While this is a great option, you should make sure that you understand the basics of windshield repair before taking on this project.
DIY Windshield Repair Steps:
- Purchase a DIY windshield repair kit. Make sure you purchase one that is designed for the type of damage that your windshield has sustained. You can find these at most auto parts stores, as well as online.
- Read the instructions that come with the kit carefully and follow them to the letter. Depending on the kit, you may need to mix the resin and other materials together or seal the area with a special adhesive.
- Clean the area around the cracked or chipped windshield with a soft cloth and window cleaner. This will help to remove any dirt or debris that could interfere with the repair process.
- Next, use the kit’s applicator to apply the resin to the crack or chip. Make sure you cover the entire area and let it sit for the amount of time recommended by the kit’s instructions.
- Once the resin has hardened, use the applicator to remove any excess. You may need to use a razor blade or other sharp tool to completely remove the excess.
- Finally, use the kit’s curing light to cure the resin. You should follow the instructions for the curing light carefully, as not doing so could result in an ineffective repair.
Once you have completed these steps, your cracked or chipped windshield should be repaired.
When To Contact Windshield Repair Professionals
In some cases, the damage to your windshield may be too extensive to repair yourself. If the chip or crack is large, deep, or contains dirt or debris, then it must be repaired by a windshield repair professional.
It is also important to contact a professional if the damage is in the driver’s line of vision. This is because a professional can repair the damage without sacrificing the structural integrity of the windshield. A professional will also be able to replace the windshield if necessary.
In addition, it is important to contact a professional if the chip or crack is in a corner or near the edge of the windshield. This is because a DIY repair kit may not be able to seal the damage properly. A professional can also ensure that the damage is repaired correctly.
Choosing The Best Windshield Repair Service
If you’re looking for high-quality services and premium-quality glass, Omni Auto Glass is the place to go.
We’ll give you the best deal on your windshield replacement or repair, and you’ll be pleased with the work our skilled technicians do on both your car and your wallet. Not only are our services dependable, but our team is also quite personable, so you can rest assured that this project is in good hands.
Visit our shop today or contact us to request a quote.